Being a tennis mega super star year in and out has to be at least a little stressful, but Maria Sharapova handles it well and with style.
She has competed on the WTA tour since 2001. She has been ranked world No. 1 in singles by the WTA on five separate occasions, for a total of 21 weeks. She is one of ten women, and the only Russian, to hold the career Grand Slam. She is also an Olympic medalist, having earned silver for Russia in women’s singles at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Maria became the world’s number one for the first time on August 22, 2005, at the age of 18, and last held the ranking for the fifth time for four weeks from June 11, 2012, to July 8, 2012.
She has captured 35 singles titles and five Grand Slam titles, two at the French Open and one each at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and US Open, ranking her third among active players, behind Serena and Venus Williams.
That’s some serious stuff.
But don’t girls just wanna have fun too?
One way Maria lightens up is by posing with a Porsche 911 RSR race car at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show in Los Angeles.
She’s got class, style, talent and beauty.
What a winner and we are sure her ability to have fun contributes to that success.
Female student athletes? There seems to be a life lesson in that.[adToAppearHere]
Please enjoy the musings of a writer who agrees that Maria should have a good time and shares some fun facts with us.
Fun Facts About Sharapova
By Sneha T
Here are some fun, lesser known facts about tennis champion Maria Sharapova.
- She started playing Tennis at the very young age of four. She went on to train at a Tennis Academy in Florida when she was just nine.
- She is home schooled and studies via Internet. She has no particular plans to attend a college as she believes there is absolutely no point spending precious time in college to develop a career when she is already being paid handsomely in endorsement deals and in cash awards.
- On her 14th birthday, she became a professional tennis player.
- Sharapova, at the age of fifteen, is the youngest person to reach the Australian Open junior tournament finals.
- She prefers Thai and Russian cuisine. Her favorite dish is Crepes served with a Nutella cream.
- Her favorite beverage to chug is Orangina.
- Some of her favorite movies are Pearl Harbor, Mona Lisa Smile and Love Actually.
- Off the courts, she is interested in fashion and modeling. She is a swimsuit model and is signed with IMG Modeling agency.
- Maria Sharapova profile was the most searched in Yahoo during 2005 to 2008. Apparently people were interested in more than Maria Sharapova statistics.
- She won her very first Grand Slam title at the age of seventeen.
- She signed her very first endorsement deal, with Nike, when she was just eleven.
- She is not just a world renowned super star; she is also a UN Goodwill Ambassador.
- Her parents are survivors of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster; Sharapova has donated generously to Chernobyl related projects.
- She was first spotted by tennis legend Martina Navratilova, who advised her father to take his daughter for training at Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida.
- Her family name ‘Sharapova’ is actually pronounced “sharr-AA-puh-vuh” as opposed to “shuh-ruh-POH-vuh”.
- She became the first Russian woman to hit the top rankings when she was adjudged Numero Uno in August 2005.
- She is an enthusiastic stamp collector.
- She is regarded as the highest paid female athlete by Forbes magazine for seven years in a row. She earned a staggering $25 million in 2010 besides a $70 million endorsement deal that went down with Nike.
- She is dating former American Tennis star, Andy Roddick.
- In 2007, she made it to the list of Top Ten Eligible Bachelorettes beating the likes of Paris Hilton and Keira Knightley.
~ ~ ~
OPENING PHOTO credit REUTERS/Mike Blake[adToAppearHere]
Sneha is rated as a Platinum Level Expert Author and has published over 384 articles.